What can we eat in Navratras Fast
Oct 15, 2012
What can you eat in Navratras Fast
It’s a myth I feel that during fast we starve ourselves! In fact the opposite is true for the Navratras fasting period of 7-8 days. There are some who eat only fruits and some who eat proper meal once a day during the fast. If you’re keeping it for 1-2 days, usually for the first and last day fast, you can easily have a few options to choose from. But the ones who keep it for the whole week many a time get too bored with monotony of eating fruit every day. There are several options of food to choose from what you can eat during the navratri fasts. Care must be taken to use only Swaang ke chawal (special small rice variety for this fast), Saenda namak (uniodized salt for fast) and Kuttu or Singhade ka atta (flour for the fast as wheat or rice cannot be consumed).
Foods you can consume without worry during the Navratras fast ( or any fast where you cannot consume regular grains and vegetables) :
· Food made with Sabudana or Tapioca
· Dishes made with Kuttu or Singhade ka atta
· Dishes made with potato (without using any other vegetable)
Now the list of foods and dishes you can make and eat during fast.
· Aloo ka Halwa (sweet mashed potato with milk and sugar)
· Sabudana Chips
· Sabudana Wada
· Sabudana Kheer
· Kuttu ki tikki ( fried Kuttu cutlets)
· Aloo tikki (potato cutlets)
· Kuttu ki roti
· Usual meal during fast – Kuttu ki roti, alu jeera sabji and curd
The common foods you can consume:
· Curd, plain or flavored
· Soft drinks
· Fresh fruit juices (packaged ones have salt and other flavorings)
· Homemade ice-creams / fruit shakes
· Nuts and raisins
· For the ones with sweet tooth, you can make frozen fruit yogurts as well!
So enjoy this Navratri with so many great options to choose from. The fasts are kept for the peace of mind not merely for the sake of the rituals. So be happy this Navratri season and make it more Festive than Fastive!