- Make the batter for idli by mixing the curd and semolina in a bowl. Mix well.
- You can add little water if required to get a thick smooth consistency.
- Add salt and baking powder. Mix well. Let it stand for 8-10 mins.
- Grease the idli moulds.
- Put 1 spoonful of batter in each mould.
- In the outer container, put ½ cup water.
- Place the moulds in the container and cover the lid.
- Put the container in the microwave for 4 mins on 100% power (750W)
- When done, take the moulds out and let them rest for 1 min.
- Take out the idlis and let them rest in a plate for 1 min.
- Serve with coconut relish or any chutney of your choice.
Sep 28, 2012
A quick healthy breakfast
Idli is a south Indian snack or breakfast item made of rava(semolina) and curd batter. It’s steamed so it is extremely healthy. The recipe is very basic and you can add spices to it, or make special relishes or chutneys to go with it according to your tastes. The coconut chutney goes best with this. It’s made in a steamer traditionally, but with the common use of microwaves in our homes, making idli is not very quick and effortless. All you need is a microwave and a microwave safe idli maker(moulds). I got mine with my whirlpool microwave itself, but you can easily buy one from the utensil store or a supermarket.
Cooking time 5 mins
Prep time 10 mins
Semolina/Rava 1 ½ cup
Curd 2 cups
Baking powder ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for greasing the moulds
Chef Tips: You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder and red chili powder for taste and colour to the idlies.